I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, May 5, 2014

Developmental Stages

From the Da Vinci Enigma Tarot, the Hermit:
What light shines in the darkness and solitude?
What shadows does it reveal in this matter?
This sketch is a self-portrait believed to be done a few years before Da Vinci retired. He wrote, "The painter should be solitary and consider what he sees..." My spiritual path requires that I often take an inventory, consider what my assets and liabilities are, and make plans for progress. Being alone when I do this task keeps me from being distracted and reminds me where my focus needs to be. For me, this is the shining light that can bring about change and help me get back on course.

From the Insectorum Divinorum comes the "Brood:"
In the insect world, a brood includes the three developmental stages before emerging as adults: egg, larva, and pupa. There are times in my life where I feel stuck spiritually, and times when I feel like I've taken more steps backward than forward. But perhaps these are just the places and stages I need to experience to motivate me to transform into a spiritually mature adult.

4 comments:

  1. We tend to picture ourselves as whole. Watching dementia fracture mothers personalities into individual parts, I can see in myself the many areas still in larva stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck, I think some parts of me are still hiding in the egg. :) Thinking of you and your mom often, and sending gentle hugs your way.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you Sharyn. For many things I feel like I am still in nursery school.
    When it feels like I am taking steps backward, is mostly when I am tired (exhausted) otherwise it feels like being challenged to move forward :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe those steps backward are challenges; I think I encountered one last night. A woman whom I had attached a label to shared something with me that cracked my heart wide open. Now I see her in a whole new light.

      Delete