I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, August 2, 2014

A New Understanding

This week I'll be using the Hezicos Tarot, a deck created and self-published by Mary Griffin. I'll also be using the Way of the Horse, a set created by Kim McElroy and Linda Kohanov and published by New World Library. Today's cards are the Ten of Swords and "Lionheart:"
Being a person who lives a large part of her life mucking around in her head, this image feels very familiar. I love to learn, analyze, take apart and put back together ideas. But every now and then, I run across something that my brain just can't process. The reason may be that I'm tired, I may not be familiar with the terms or language used or I'm just be coming at it from the wrong angle. Now normal people would probably just set it down and forget about it for awhile. But I'm like the wind-up car that runs into the wall then backs up and runs into the wall again - over and over. Eventually I wind up like this poor elf, completely wiped out. It is interesting that he lies across a mushroom. Did you know that the part of this plant we see above ground is the fruit? The actual plant itself lies beneath the soil. So this message suggests that by giving up his mental attack, his brain will bear fruit all on its own.
The Lionheart card encourages me to stop being aggressive but avoid doing nothing. In combining these two cards, I get the impression that giving up and walking away is not the answer. Instead I need to listen and be receptive. I need to walk around the problem or idea and look from every angle to see what perspective I might be missing. And if I relax with this information instead of trying to force it into a mold, I might just discover a new way to understand it.

4 comments: