I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pin Cushion

From the Neuzeit Tarot, Ten of Swords; from Rory's Story Cubes, "Shield/Wand:"
Surrounded by a crowd of people, a carousel turns displaying decorated swords. But these swords are useless because they are made of paper. Still the people clamor over them because they look good. I am reminded of all the opinions (stated as facts) that the news and social media constantly have on exhibit. What a colossal waste of time that only produces fear and anger instead of practical solutions.
If I don't want to become a human pin cushion for the opinions of the media, I need to protect myself (the Shield cube). Limiting the time I spend watching the news or perusing the internet will help in this endeavor. Yet the Wand cube suggests I also create something. Instead of relying on the paranoia and hate-filled information being spewed all around, I can do my own research (look for facts) and be responsible for forming my own ideas.

2 comments:

  1. It has been years since we've had a newspaper delivered every morning. Same reason: We didn't want to pollute our minds with fear and anger. Some things are beyond our control and we only can hope an pray for the best. In other, more local matters, perhaps only at home, we can sway our wands and make a small scale difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; I don't want to bury my head in the sand, yet constantly having it in your face (with no control to change things) just creates internal chaos for me.

      Delete