I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, February 19, 2015

An Untroubled, Quiet Retreat

From the Art of Life Tarot, the Hermit; from the Tao Oracle, "Duration:"
          On a craggy outcrop, a young man sits with his gaze directed over the horizon of the ocean. He enjoys an open and spacious view; nothing clutters his mind. With both his rifle and dog at rest, he feels no need to protect himself. The only sounds are the rhythmic crash of the waves below. Solitude allows him to reflect without the intrusions or distractions of other people. He searches his deepest self to uncover what motivates him and consider his next course of action. Will this reflection lead to self-absorption or a desire to reach out?
          The young man's rocky resting place is reflected in image of the four seasons of the mountain. This oracle card represents duration, a sense of stability and perseverance. Can goals be achieved and challenges met if I don't take time to see what makes me tick? Without that self inventory, I imagine I would become like a wind-up toy - acting on whatever emotion has me wound up.  

8 comments:

  1. Today I wrote in my post: "I need solitude as much as I need to breath." Sometimes a short period of 15 minutes will do the trick but sometimes I need longer and I've learned it is for the benefit of everyone, including me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're having a deep freeze in the Deep South today, which gives me a great excuse to stay home, meditate, draw, read, etc. :)

      Delete
    2. That's great Bev! Enjoy yourself

      Delete
  2. I am so struck by the sense of reciprocity between these two cards. I see the Oracle card as a natural accommodation for allowing The Hermit's innate qualities to flower. Time seems to ask for a different definition here or perhaps a different perspective.

    I love the idea of combining paradigms like this. I recently bought The Tao Oracle but have yet to use it. Seeing your post I'm excited by the possibilities. The Art of Life Tarot looks wonderful, at least in this one card!

    I'm a new reader of your blog but I'm enjoying your daily posts

    gratitude, Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find these two decks work very well together - a good fit. I like your idea of the mountain being what allows the Hermit to flower; time does seem to have a different perspective in this place.
      It's nice to "meet" you Rose! Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment. :)

      Delete
  3. Funny, I was just thinking today how the most important relationship I have is with the Divine. All else has to flow from there otherwise I cannot be happy with myself nor with anyone else. I love the Hermit. Great card combination Bev.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Divine, then, is your mountain of stability and solidity! :)

      Delete