I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Seeing Behind Closed Eyes

From the Deck of the Bastard, the Fool; from the Marseille Oracle, "Inspiration:"
          The Ettellia image of the Fool is connected with folly, which is not hard to comprehend since he's walking around with his eyes closed. He's also associated with eccentricity, yet I wonder if there is a method to his madness. I'm very practical - what I see and experience, I believe in. But that kind of thinking relies a lot on the files already in my mental file cabinet. Everything gets compared to and labeled under something that has come before. Now this is not a bad thing, because it helps me stay organized and prevents me from being overwhelmed with too much information. But it's hard to squeeze in an unlabeled file that one can do something creative with. Which brings me to the Inspiration card: the image of a candle waiting to be lit. The door to the lantern is open, suggesting an open mind like that of the Fool. But the booklet suggests that I "listen to advice from those who love you." I suppose if I'm going to walk around seeing the unseen rather than reality, it could be very helpful to have folks who can act as a cane for the visually impaired.

4 comments:

  1. Being a Fool was a paid position in past times. Like a Sin Eater, with no public programs to fall on, you did anything for food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have highly paid Fools now - they're called congressmen. :D

      Delete
  2. As long as he hold his hands in before ohis eyes the candle might be lit or not. I prefer a fool who takes a leap of faith ("belief that is not based on proof") :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking he might be inspired by an inner light... :)

      Delete