I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Not a Waste of Time

This week I'll be using the Shadowscapes book and deck set published by Llewellyn. The artwork is done by Stephanie Pui-Mun Law and the book is written by Barbara Moore. I'll also be drawing from a set of Cedar Runes made by AlaskaLaserMaid; The Serpent and the Eagle by Chris Travers will serve as an accompanying text. Today's draws are the Page of Pentacles and "Nauthiz:"
          My first glance at this Page landed on the owl and missed the dragon that winds around the rock on which she rests. Moore suggests the sleeping dragon represents an opportunity for growth. But before she takes flight, studies and skills are required. Knowledge should be distilled and techniques honed to successfully care for the huge beast. This meaning connected nicely with the rune Nauthiz, which is often translated as necessity or restriction. Travers' translation of the Old English Rune Poem reads:
Need is constricting on the chest
although for the children of men it often becomes
a help and salvation nevertheless
if they heed it in time.
I've yet to do my sketch prompt (Interior) for tomorrow, and I need to read and make notes for my portion of the discussion at book club on Wednesday. Part of me feels the constriction that comes when I make time for these things. Yet as soon as I sit down to study or draw, it is as though I'm sitting in meditation - a salvation indeed!

10 comments:

  1. Lovely how in English `Need` is a verb. I do so relate to how you transit from constriction to meditation. Last Friday I've been obsessing all day long about copying an oracle card with pencil in my sketchbook. When I finally had tore down all my `pity excuses` and got started I so enjoyed it.±'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Therein lies the irony: what I'm pushing against is actually what I want! :D

      Delete
  2. Ooh, getting out my pencils does sound tempting... Perhaps I can persuade both boys to do some colouring, or maybe I'll just leave them playing with building blocks and try to sketch in the corner :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can get them happily entertained so you can get out your own "play things." :)

      Delete
    2. Yay, I did! Even if it was just 20 minutes, it was lovely! I posted it on my other blog :D

      Delete
  3. I just finished my sketch. I found the same thing but sat down for 40 minutes and got the basic sketch done, and then rolled on from there with a couple of breaks. Felt really good, makes for a happy day or couple of days.

    Chloe might join us one day maybe? We are 1/4 through the project!

    Those runes are nice--I remember when she first started laser burning boxes for decks--lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just sat still after a crazy, busy day. I'm going to try to at least do a rough sketch tonight!
      AlaskaLaserMaid has burned two oracles I created for myself - my Greek alphabet tiles and my Pictish Oracle tiles. She does terrific work and is always up for whatever crazy project I come up with! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Bev,
      I checked out the sketch prompt page. Interesting.
      What I've learned is I can't wait for inspiration or even motivation. It's in the doing that motivates and will, as we say here in the Maritimes 'get'er done'!

      Delete
    3. The prompts have been nice to help me think outside the box - and it's also wonderful to have some folks to do it with! But I also understand following your inspiration too. :)

      Delete