I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Make Merry

This week I'll be using the Morgan Greer Tarot, created by Bill Greer and Lloyd Morgan and published by U.S. Games. I'll also be using an oracle made of a combination of two decks - the Gods and Titans along with the Goddesses and Sirens. Both of these were created by Stacey Demarco and Jimmy Manton and published by Blue Angel. Today's card draws are the Four of Wands and "Green Man:"
           My first thought when I saw the MG version of this card was, "Where are all the people?" But then I realized the decorated wands were situated to form a gateway to the castle. I would surmise by the barren landscape that the climate has forced the celebrants to party indoors. Nothing like a scorpion bite or heatstroke to ruin the festive mood. Have humans always set apart sacred space for joyful celebration? Probably. It's a way to share our jubilance, yet it also keeps enthusiasm high so we can continue moving forward.
          Here in South Georgia, we are in the middle of our longest season - summer. Everything is growing profusely and in abundance, which the Green Man represents. "Plant the seeds," he tells me, "and they will sprout and flourish." This god loves expansion and the lush sensuousness of the natural world. But there is some small print on the package: "Warning - can lead to unstoppable exuberance with results like kudzu." I'll celebrate the good today, but won't forget there is still work to do tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. For me is celebrating the small achievements etc often much more fun than the big events like Easter and Christmas. They are more spontaneous and there is less expectation on how it should be done
    What is your opinion about the decks by Demarco and Manton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the small celebrations too. :) The oracles by Demarco and Manton are fairly good (booklet and illustrations), but I have one criticism. All the cards seem washed in one color. The Green Man is a good example; I would think there would be much more color (especially green!) than the just the gold tone.

      Delete
    2. Yes you are right about that. My main concern is that a lot of these gods and goddesses look too much like comicbook hero's

      Delete
    3. I see why people would want their gods and goddesses to look strong and virile, but I do understand what you mean!

      Delete
  2. Funny, I'd never thought about the barrenness of that MG four of wands landscape. But just as we humans always create sacred space, we also always find reasons to celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing the rods are just like balloons tied to a mailbox (Here's the party!). But the hoedown is happening inside where it's cool!

      Delete