I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Forget the CPR

From the Tyldwick Tarot, the Ten of Swords; from the Antiquarian Lenormand, the "Rider:"
          Seeing the bloody smear over the Marseilles-style Ten of Swords made me think of the phrase "beat a dead horse." Race horses and work horses that pull loads are often encouraged to move with a crop or whip. But if that horse isn't alive, it's not going anywhere no matter how much you flog it. The Swords suit refers to thoughts or communication; the Ten implies there is no further to go and no potential left. Whatever issue or ideology this card represents, the life has been suffocated out of it with no possibility for resuscitation. Yet the Rider card gallops in, suggesting the arrival of something new. I can stubbornly stand over my "dead horse" or pull myself up into the saddle of the "live" one. It's a choice of taking on the role of a martyr or deciding to try something different. I believe I'll be saying "giddy-up."

10 comments:

  1. Me too! That is why I like the fact that in so many Ten of Swords cards you see the rising sun in the background as a promise of new ideas and possibilities.
    I can't find that aspect in this card though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see it in the letter left behind - like a letter of resignation from a job. :)

      Delete
  2. Another cerebral interpretation from Lovell. I notice that horse and rider speeding as fast as they can outta there! Giddy-up, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Rider made me think of the line from Toy Story 2: "Ride like the wind, Bullseye!" :)

      Delete
  3. my early life was chock full of dead horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, mine too. I imagine I've still got a few hidden away here and there.

      Delete
  4. That 10 of swords can be so intimidating! But the rider shows one moving on from it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Ten of Swords + Rider shows that the worst is over. The Rider gallops away from the Ten of Swords. Things are only going to get better now.

    ReplyDelete