I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Fire Bird, Water Bird

From the Vision Quest Tarot, the Daughter of Fire (Page of Wands); from the Bird Cards, "Crane:"
          What a pairing today: in one card is a hazy symbol of a thunderbird, with eyes of lightning and wings of thunder; in the other is the crane, a water bird associated with good fortune, longevity and peace. The Daughter of Fire is Earth in the element of Fire - quite a combustible combination. That crane appears to be keeping an eye out, probably aware that the burning smudge could erupt into a forest fire at any moment. This Page/Daughter is fearless and thrives on pushing the envelope. Her highly fueled enthusiasm is good for getting people off their bum, but her passion can be destructive without any boundaries. The VQ's author associates this go-getter with self-actualization.
          When I think of cranes, I automatically associate them with the Japanese origami ones. The crane card made me remember a touching article in the Washington Post:
During the chaotic days after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Basim Elkarra was passing by an Islamic school in Sacramento when he did a double-take: The windows were covered with thousands of origami cranes - peace symbols that had been created and donated by Japanese Americans. Amid the anger and suspicions being aimed at Muslims at that time, the show of support "was a powerful symbol that no one will ever forget," said Elkarra, a Muslim American community leader in California.
After experiencing the trauma and horrors of internment camps during WWII, Japanese Americans knew all too well what the combustible combination of fear and prejudice would produce. The combination of the Daughter and Crane suggests that while I passionately try to fulfill my potential and needs, I need to be very careful I don't trample on the rights and potential of others.

8 comments:

  1. The balanced crane on the look out. We all should have our inner crane watching out for us when we are on the verge of exploding. :)
    The donation of a thousand cranes is beautiful and very compassionate gift

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we all need to have a fire hydrant ready when our fiery side burns out of control. :)

      Delete
  2. Looking at this pair I can't help but feel the DoF has transformed into the Crane. The fiery and radiant sky has become the rainbow, the sacred smudge has become the plumage, her hair now flowing down the bird's graceful neck, the red tulips now the crown of red on the Crane's head, ...Perhaps all the water allowed a kind of shamanic shift, much the way a long, cleansing shower can change my emotional state from agitated to settled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hate to put out all her fire; her motivation can lead to good. But as the yin-yang symbol on the crane card shows, balance is everything. I love your description of a the cleansing shower changing one's emotional state; I can definitely relate. And perhaps that is where the constructive side of her passion can be released. :)

      Delete
    2. That's a great observation, Bev. As a fire sign whose flame was often doused by maternal influence I feel a spaciousness upon reading your first sentence. Thank you for this.

      Delete
    3. I think all females have felt dampened by that instruction to be "good girls."

      Delete
  3. Awww, thanks for sharing that little article about the paper cranes. I bet that was a sight to see in the midst of all that turmoil from 9/11. My mind often takes me back to that day. It was hard for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During those days, I think any act of kindness was a bright spot.

      Delete