I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Flying or Falling?

This week I'll be using the Tabula Mundi Tarot (Nox et Lux edition) with its companion book Book M: Liber Mundi; both were self-published by M.M. Meleen. I'll pair with it the Alchemist's Oracle, a deck and booklet set self-published by Lauren Aletta. Today's draws are the Prince of Swords (Knight) and "High Flying:"
          Meleen describes this Prince as an "onrush of ideas and innovations," and suggests "the challenge is holding on to them." His ideas are personified in the form of fairies, who look like they have their own notions about what they want to do. (Having had days where concepts and plans bounce around inside my head, I can relate.) From an elemental standpoint, the Prince is Air of Air; with his remarkable intellect and knowledge, the sky is the limit. Yet air is ephemeral and provides nothing firm on which to grasp. He's going to have to land his Chariot of Winds on the ground if he wants to do something more concrete than talk.
          Aletta describes this card as being in the "creative zone." Being inspired with original designs and heady thoughts can feel similar to a drug-induced rush. There's excitement mixed with joy that overflows with enthusiasm. But a butterfly/moth has a short lifespan, much like my ideas. I may get so caught up in the feeling behind them, that I lose track of my purpose. Like Icarus who flew too close to the sun, I might suddenly find myself falling rather than flying.

6 comments:

  1. This deck is so great, I wonder if she, in addition to you, has to carry her big brain around in a sling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking Meleen must need a tractor trailer for hers. :D

      Delete
  2. Great take on this pairing. I'll be curious to see how you get along with this Oracle. My TM awaits my return home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to hear if you agree with me and Sharyn about it. I was originally going to wait for the color version, but I think I'm going to prefer the black and white now that I have it.

      Delete
  3. Wow, a triple dose of air on this one! While I love that feeling of inspiration and ideas, it's true that, like being in the flow, we can lose track of the ideas, as well as of time. Thank goodness for pen and paper (or a phone), to make notes! And those are also airy inspirations ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that triple dose describes me very well when I am floating around on multiple clouds of inspiration, and then they suddenly dissipate! :)

      Delete