I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Caught in the Flow

From the Victoria Regina Tarot, the Magician; from the Universe Cards, "Comet:"
          This guy makes me think of a professor giving a lecture. I've had teachers who do nothing more than grind out facts and figures, all "telling" and no "showing." Their classes were tedious and exhausting, and though I memorized much, I retained little. I left every day feeling much like one of the Magician's dried out bugs pinned to a board. No matter what the profession or hobby, you can always tell when a person's passion is in it. If so, what they create or do fills them with an intense fervor; they find themselves in the "zone," and what flows from them seems effortless and magical.
          Comets are a mix of ice and dust, "leftovers" from the formation of our Solar System. They only becomes visible when they pass close to the sun and heat up, causing them them to emit a stream of gas and dust. Stopforth assigns this card the keyword "transition," because this celestial body has a period of being unseen until it is captured by the sun's gravity. I can see a parallel between this period and the time the Magician spends practicing. At first what he does seems forced and awkward, but eventually his performance smooths out. Like the comet caught in the sun's gravitational field, he eventually finds himself "in the zone." No use trying to rush the process.  

4 comments:

  1. I wish there would have been a passionate magician as a professor at school when we where younger. How much we could have learned before entering adulthood with all it challenges and responsibilities. Or would we have played truant during his classes too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky to have a few who made their classes come alive. The time always flew by instead of feeling like I was stuck in a doctor's waiting room. :)

      Delete
  2. That comet is looking to rest as a fiery orb in his receptive hand. Then I'm sure we'd all sit up and take notice ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when it does, I bet he will speak eloquently and move gracefully! :)

      Delete