I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, November 6, 2015

Light in the Darkness

From the Ellis Deck, the Star; from the Brownies Oracle, "Rescue:"
          Ellis describes the precursor to the Star as grieving a loss, feeling lost, and thinking we're utterly alone. Everyone's been to this dark place at some time or another. Exhausted mentally, emotionally and physically, we've got nothing left in our gas tank. But then comes a spark of hope. It often comes in the thoughtful, encouraging words of a person who has walked in our shoes. This guide tells us there is still goodness in life - joy and laughter, beauty and kindness - enough to bear any suffering. We are not isolated and forsaken; there are people willing to reach out a hand. Just look at the Brownies card; the little folk have made a sled to pull those who have been through an ordeal to safety. Will any of the down-and-out folks refuse the rescue effort because of pride, assuming they must do it all themselves? Their challenge is to accept the help offered.
I know it's hard to imagine, but one day you'll see the colors again. 
― J.B. McGee

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful quote and so true. When you are in darkest pit it can only get better.
    These cards fit perfectly together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know there are those willing to offer emotional support as lanterns to light our way!

      Delete
  2. and my cynical side says "how many of those who don't need it will jump on the sled for a free ride?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. These decks have worked really well together. I've enjoyed journeying with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be sad to put them away next week, but I know right where to find them again. :)

      Delete
  4. I saw this quote yesterday by Paul Tillich. "All love eventually becomes help".

    When I see another in need I have to have a willingness to help, because others were there for me. What others choose to do with that help offered is not up to me. Helping others help themselves is most often a healthy response, but it doesn't always put food in their bellies or a roof over their head or out of harms way.

    I'll tell you Bev, I hate to think where I'd be if the hand of kindness had not been there for me. Some help that was offered was big, but I never underestimate small kindnesses, that are often remember for life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Tillich quote!!! And so true that even small acts of kindness and compassion can have long-lasting effects. One match struck in the darkness can provide a hope for change.

      Delete
    2. To be able to have a hope for change in a world of darkness, something we sure all need. Happy to know you love that quote Bev, me too.

      Delete
    3. I've always been a fan of Tillich. :)

      Delete
    4. Reminds me of some psychotherapy writers who say that you can never help someone unless you find a spark of love inside yourself for them... :)

      Delete
    5. And perhaps reaching out for help requires a bit of self-love too. :)

      Delete
  5. Interesting Star card. The phoenix look of it seems almost more appropriate to Judgement. Still, I like what you said about that spark of hope :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose there are times when we feel we've been burnt to ash - whether mentally, physically or emotionally. And yet still we rise... :)

      Delete