I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Ideals and Attitudes

From the Da Vinci Enigma Tarot, the Nine of Earth (Pentacles); from the Insectorum Divinorum, "Mantodea:"
           In this sketch, Leonardo noted how tree roots dipped into a stream. The dimmi asks, "Where is your rightful place and what is the necessary attitude to take here?" I've been reminded by my recent study of Spiral Dynamics (Graves, Beck and Cowen), that life conditions and neurobiology have a lot to do with where I find myself. Nines always feel very solitary and individual to me. I'd have to answer Matthews question of "rightful place" with some lines from the Declaration of Independence: that all people are equal and have the right to pursue life, liberty and happiness. My attitude should be that each person has this right, even if their choices don't look like mine, as long as what they do doesn't infringe on the rights of another person.
         Mantodea is an order of insects known as the mantises. They are mostly ambush predators; their stationary posture with arms folded has led to the common name of praying mantises. The booklet emphasizes the need to be cautious - some people who seem to be friendly have ulterior motives. What they want will benefit them without regard to others. Is it my job to stand up for these people who are taken advantage of? I think so. As Barack Obama put it:
We, the People, recognize that we have responsibilities as well as rights; that our destinies are bound together; that a freedom which only asks what's in it for me, a freedom without a commitment to others, a freedom without love or charity or duty or patriotism, is unworthy of our founding ideals, and those who died in their defense.


No comments:

Post a Comment