I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, December 3, 2015

Moving in Cycles

From the Buckland Romani Tarot, the Six of Koshes (Wands); from the Lakota Sweat Lodge Cards, "Hanwi:"
A time to weep, and a time to laugh;
    a time to mourn, and a time to dance.
Ecclesiastes 3:4
          One Rom stands in a wagon; both he and his horse have wreaths around their necks. Buckland explains that he has just won a race; his buddies wave their whips in the air in acknowledgement and celebration. The horse is honored as much as the man, being an integral part of their lives. And though this is a time of excitement and happiness, the Moon (Hanwi) shows up as a reminder that it will eventually pass as more pressing matters come to the forefront. Yet there's no need to go into a tizzy because the good times have been replaced by something less pleasant. Beginnings and endings are the natural ebb and flow of life. My job (from a spiritual practice point of view) is to pay attention and be present for all of it rather than spend my time wishing for an alternative. As Pema Chodron states, "we can have a joyful relationship with our lives, an honest, direct relationship, that no longer ignores the reality of impermanence and death."

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if the little Cob enjoys that celebratory style of whips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt sorry for him! I hope those are blinders he's wearing...

      Delete
  2. She also said; “You are the sky. Everything else – it’s just the weather.” ( I suppose you were the one who gave me this quote??)
    I love the idea that everything always changes: the good and the bad. Otherwise trying to pay attention and being in the moment would get so boring :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! :) If we could pay attention to each moment as it comes, I'm sure we would be surprised by all the wonder we found there.

      Delete