I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Passionate Giving

From the Urban Tarot, the Queen of Wands; from the Principles to Live By Oracle, "Generosity:"
          Scott modeled her Queen of Wands on a defense attorney who she saw in action (and was much impressed by). She sits in front of a sculpture known as the Triumph of the Human Spirit, a design that pays tribute to 427 slaves (as well as some Native Americans and early immigrants) buried near the site. Scott describes this woman as a master of persuasion in the context of passion and idealism. The leopard sitting next to her briefcase (no doubt full of persuasive strategies) emphasizes the power this woman has. And what could she be trying to cajole and encourage me to do?
          The sliced pie disc represents Generosity; to be generous means to willingly share my resources, including my time, energy and attention. In Buddhism, one of the paramitas is generosity, which includes four ways we can give: material goods, knowledge, protection and "active love" (under which would fall time, attention and energy). It is the fourth category that is the hardest for me to be generous with, as I often think I have so little time. But as author Henry Taylor wrote, "He who gives what he would as readily throw away gives without generosity; for the essence of generosity is in self-sacrifice." True generosity is in giving what I am most attached to, not what has little meaning for me.
~~~
Beverly King's Principles to Live By Meditation Tiles
Alaska Laser Maid is now selling the wood-burned tiles of the Principles to Live By Oracle, if anyone is interested. It comes with a key to the tiles, a reflection on what they mean, and five quotes for each principle from eclectic sources.

10 comments:

  1. Your new oracle looks amazing.
    what I like about this queen is how feminine her clothing is. Living in a man's world doing a man's job, it is so easy to develop your masculine side to the extreme that even you want to dress like a man.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like this queen a lot too; she's more than just a sexy lady, she's smart and strong too. :)

      Delete
  2. my poor eyes saw "sacred pie disc" and I actually spent a little time thinking about where that came from :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful that you've created yet another oracle that people can buy. I remember Alaska Laser Maid from my time at the Jump the Shark Forum. She had just started her business way back then and it's nice to see the continuity of someone's talent. Two good people making and creating!

    That woman on the card looks fierce. A reminder I think of the fiery duality of this Queen--she can get a bit tricky. I've been enjoying seeing this deck on your blog Bev. These two seem another great match for daily draws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALM is a lovely lady to work with; she's made three oracles for me so far: this one, one with the Greek alphabet and one with the Pictish symbols.
      The Urban is the best investment I've made in a long while. Even with the large borders and dark shades on some of the cards, I really like it. It's inclusiveness is a big draw for me. Plus the companion book has a full color scan of each card on one page with another page devoted to telling the who, what and why of her illustration. Way better than just "this card means."

      Delete
  4. I wish more artists would realize what a vital part of a book their own inspiration is. Nothing beats hearing about the particulars of design and ideas. It makes a book for me.

    Too bad I can't afford it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the artist adding their view of a card's meaning, but what a waste if that's all they do! I'd be surprised if this deck doesn't get picked up by a publishing company. Maybe it will be more affordable then.

      Delete
  5. Love your slice of pie = generosity tile. You would enjoy a Sufi song we do of the Brahma Viharas in which Karuna is offered to whomever you meet in the circle.

    Oracle is fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. :) A Sufi song that includes the Four Immeasurables? I'm captivated!

      Delete