I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, February 21, 2016

A Full Colander?

This week I'll be using the Sun and Moon Tarot, created by Vanessa Decort and published by U.S. Games. I'll also be drawing from the Wisdom Keepers Oracle, created by Rosy Aronson and published by Seal Pup Press. Today's draws are the Ten of Cups and Precision:
          Since this is a Thoth-based deck, the Ten of Cups has been given the keyword "satiety," meaning full and satisfied. This sweet couple under the full moon and starry skies makes me think of a tagline from the 1980s by Old Milwaukee beer: "It doesn't get any better than this." I'm sure I've had many such moments of contentment, but I don't remember most of them. Why? Because while part of me enjoyed the moment, another part of me was already wondering what was next. I want to tell this couple to focus on all the sensations and feelings surrounding them right now. Don't be in a hurry to move life along.
          The Precision card shows a fellow with a tattooed lotus and yoga pose (tree) on his forehead. The lotus is a symbol of being awake and the asana is one that requires balance. Both fit well with the keyword for this wisdom keeper. But even if I'm focused and accurate, I can still bypass the emotional element. I can technically do all the right things as a daughter, wife, mother or friend and yet leave the person I'm with feeling like something is missing. The reason may be my actions stem from my head and not my heart. I'm doing my duty without a loving motive underneath. That kind of behavior can wreck any relationship over time. But if I am fully present, I can perhaps short-circuit that kind of attitude and action with simple awareness.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, sometimes being fully, deeply present with someone else can feel like you're not doing anything. In fact, it can be challenging, and also deeply rewarding for both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, being with someone who has dementia can make me feel this way. But as you said, although it's challenging, it has its rewards too. :)

      Delete
  2. I drew the 7 of wands and had same thought when can we be satisfied. With the 10 of cups -joyful completion- but then those dancers will try a new routine to new music, and the beat goes on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one certainty about life is that it is constantly changing. :)

      Delete