I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Fluff vs. Fundamental

From the Tarot of the Crone, the Shadow of Disks (King of Pentacles); from Transforming Dragons, Spedonco:
What is essential? How can I persevere?
          Most Kings of the physical realm of tarot are portrayed as lovers of comfort, beauty and affluence. Lorenzi-Prince suggests the King of Disks is someone who knows the difference between fluff and what is fundamental. In this bare-bones land of sand and stone, there is nevertheless life in the spider and ant. I think all of us find ourselves wandering in such a place at some time in our lives. Can we truly appreciate our comforts and abundance if we don't know how to be content with simplicity? Thoreau wrote, "We are happy in proportion to the things we can do without."
          Spedonco is the dragon of fear; his bug-eyed look is due to the adrenaline of the fight or flight response. He is the other extreme of blind optimism, anticipating only dire circumstances and outcomes. Yet his energy is wasted on such predictions; instead of dealing with what's in front of him as best he can, he's running around screaming about his vision of a dreadful future. I think the King would tell him to slow down and become aware of the resources around him. And above all, keep it simple. 

6 comments:

  1. That king card looks like it has been lifted from a BC cartoon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten all about that cartoon (we haven't gotten the newspaper in years)! :D

      Delete
  2. Yesterday M and I were talking about how these days it is so easy to take everything we have for granted and not to be truly grateful for f.i our daily bread. I often long for a more simple life with les distractions and less need for more stuff
    Ps I am happy to say I have nothing on my Deck wishlist :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still occasionally get a deck, but only after considering it for a time. I've got more than I need now, so I'm not keen on adding more unless I know I'll use them.

      Delete
  3. Looks to me that the dragon of fear breathed fire and burnt away everything but the ant and spider. Pretty bleak landscape. Course there are times when all the fluff has to be burned away and get back to the really basics of who we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words, Carolyn. I guess sometimes the fluff does have to get burned away for us to realize what is important!

      Delete