I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, May 26, 2016

I'll Fly Away

From the Wild Unknown Tarot, the Lovers; from the Pictish Oracle, the Double Disc:
          Kran again makes another wise choice from the wild - Canada geese as the Lovers. These birds mate for life, and pairs remain together throughout the year. My in-laws' commitment and loyalty to each other were much like these geese. Together they made it through the depression, WWII and the suicide of of son; later my mother-in-law nursed her husband for 19 years after a blood transfusion resulted in brain damage. It feels surreal that I drew this card this morning, as I dreamed last night that I was holding my MIL's hand as she lay dying. She spoke of seeing "Charlie" and then slipped away.
          The Double Disc was an often seen inscription of the Picts, second in appearance only to the Crescent and V-rod. This symbol was thought to represent the sun or the high king. During the Romano-Celtic period, solar wheel offerings were placed in water and at shrines as offerings. The sun's image suggests power and energy but also movement (as it seemed to move across the sky and then briefly disappear until sunrise). Together with the migrating geese, it feels like the sun is about to set for my MIL. Indeed the reality of the situation is that her body and mind are beginning to make that journey. These draws makes me think of one of her favorite gospel songs:

Some glad morning when this life is o'er
I'll fly away
To a home on God's celestial shore
I'll fly away

I'll fly away, oh Glory I'll fly away 
When I die
Hallelujah by and by I'll fly away

Just a few more weary days and then
I'll fly away
To a land where joy shall never end
I'll fly away

I'll fly away, oh Glory yes I'll fly away 
When I die
Hallelujah by and by I'll fly away
  ~ Albert E. Brumley

6 comments:

  1. A very moving post my dear (((Bev))) Wishing you lots of strength for this difficult time in your life
    Gentle and encouraging hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement Ellen. At this point I hope we can just keep her as calm and comfortable as possible as she begins her "migration."

      Delete
  2. In the middle of one of mother's ongoing nonsense rants, when she barely remembered dad in any form, she stopped, turned to his picture, and said "that is the problem, he isn't here". Then went on. I felt at the cemetery we were 'walking her home'. (((Bev)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange those small pockets of memory dementia will sometimes leave behind. Thanks for the hug, friend.

      Delete
  3. I am moved by your sharing of these times. I remember my parents with their transitions, and I think I like your term of migration much more. My good thoughts go out to you on those wings of flight.

    ReplyDelete