I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Wide Angle Lens

This week I'll be using the Rosetta Tarot along with its companion book The Book of Seshet. This set was created by M.M. Meleen and published by Atu House. The oracle deck I'll be using is Ascension to Paradise, a book and deck set created by Jane Toerien and Joyce van Dobben and published by Binkey Kok. Today's draws are the Two of Wands and the Storm Petral:
          Meleen's ram-headed wand contains a Buddhist varjra ("strong like a diamond") that symbolizes a thunderbolt. The position of Mars in the sign of Aries suggests listening to instincts and coming to quick decision. Strong will and aggressive assertion are what these two wands imply. The power and dominion I have are a result of my personal freedom of choice; I get to decide how my life will unfold. This doesn't mean there wont' be obstacles and challenges, but it does mean my state of mind will largely be determined by how I relate to circumstances rather than the circumstances themselves. And speaking of challenges... the Storm Petral card suggests turbulence and stormy waters ahead. How can I use my freedom of choice in such situations? I stay awake to what is both pleasant and unpleasant without running away or closing down. It means I open my heart and mind wide, allowing me to take a wide angle shot of what is going on.

Until we can see for ourselves that our own actions of body, speech, and mind are creating the pain, we think that someone or something outside ourselves (over which we have no control) has to change in order to put an end to the pain. When we notice that it is our own thoughts that make us want the world to change, so as to accommodate our own desires or aversions, we then have choice. Zenkei Blanche Hartman

8 comments:

  1. In your situation I can see no real solution except riding it out. I know you can do it while offering family gentle morale, you've made yourself strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the real solution, not to try to change circumstances (which are beyond my control), but to stay open and embrace what is with as much compassion as I can muster.

      Delete
    2. Life is filled with challenges and how we work and face them define ourselves. I have only been reading your blog these few months and I know you will meet them all with truth,compassion, and love. Like the petrol buffered by the wind, you will find the stillness that you can rest in.

      Delete
    3. (((Carolyn))) Thank you for that vote of confidence. I know you've had to face your own challenges, so coming from you that means a lot.

      Delete
  2. O my dear, My heart goes out to you and I hope you can maintain an open mind and heart to whatever comes your way
    big hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm beginning to figure out that a closed mind and heart doesn't change what is or even make it better, so that's a good reason to work at keeping them open.

      Delete
  3. I am also reminded of Gustav Holst and "Mars, the Bringer of War" from The Planets...

    Never heard of either of these decks--pretty refreshing art and vibes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bird deck is made by the same ladies who did the Bird Cards.
      Had to go look up the Gustav piece on Mars - a very epic sound (definitely Mars worthy).

      Delete