I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Proficiency Under the Palm Tree

From the Ship of Fools Tarot, the Eight of Coins; from the Wisdom of the Four Winds, the Cabbage Tree:
          When I see an RWS version of the Eight of Pentacles, I am always interested in the fact that the fellow practicing his skill set is not in a home but outside. I wonder how far away he'd be placed if he was learning the violin or trumpet? (A few houses down from us was a teen a who would wander the neighborhood practicing his musical instrument in the late afternoon.) But perhaps the real reason is that he can't focus with other folks around; he needs as few distractions as possible when it comes to mastering his craft. The Cabbage Tree is know for yielding instead of breaking; like t'ai chi ch'uan, it changes in response to outside forces rather than attempting to meet them with opposing force. It represents the feminine characteristics of receptivity and gentleness. I can't think of two better traits to have when a person is developing proficiency in an area. I can learn the tricks of the trade from those who are much more experienced than I am. Yet at the same time, I need to have patience with myself - gentleness - when I make mistakes.

7 comments:

  1. Ah patience and gentleness, such soft and soothing attitudes. Why are they so hard to come by? Or do we look in the wrong places? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if we would treat ourselves like we do a young child we are teaching, we would learn much more than if listening to our inner critic!

      Delete
    2. My daily draw is the Six of Cups. I guess my inner child is making sure I get this message from all sides :)

      Delete
  2. I work far better alone, once even received the kernel of truth (slap) in a job review :) It is what it is as my BIL Les says a hundred times a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I know what I'm doing (like simply reading directions to put something together), I do too.

      Delete
  3. Please tell me what the author says about those antenna on those characters in the cards. I sure would take a certain set of skills to make those hats to fit correctly on those antennas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The men are dressed as jesters (fools). This deck is based on a medieval German poem titled "The Ship of Fools."

      Delete