I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Abstract to Actual

From the Le Veritable Tarot de Marseille, the Ace of Swords; from the Greek Alphabet Runes, Xi:
          Again I've drawn another "seed" card, but this one involves expressing myself through ideas and words. The Swords suit requires boundaries, and in this case necessitates that I indicate clearly what I mean. Having blogging buddies around the world has helped me understand why this is important; yet even Americans from different locations might not comprehend a local colloquialism. The other day a friend (originally from another state) called to ask how I was doing. When I replied that I was "stove up," she had no idea what I meant. The Greek letter Xi reinforces this need. It originated from the Phoenician letter samek, which is thought to be based on the glyph of a tent peg. Tent pegs anchor the structure into the ground, make it stable and keep the sides from collapsing inward. In the same way, I may need to use a grounded, everyday example to explain what I mean. Jesus of Nazareth did this well with his disciples by using parables about ordinary situations and people. Both draws today encourage me not to assume someone will understand what I'm trying to express. Instead I can construct my ideas around a concrete example.

6 comments:

  1. When we write we always miss out on the non verbal art of communication which plays quite a important part in getting the message across. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good point! Plus I use my hands to talk (gesture) all the time. :)

      Delete
  2. did you know most natives of this state pronounce it Warshington?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Southerners would understand that perfectly, as we have to "hang out the warsh on the line to dry." :D

      Delete
  3. Most conversations only last about a minute, then they become monologues. Sad to say I don't think most people hear what and how we say things. They retreat back to their inner dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree!
      “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
      ― Stephen R. Covey

      Delete