I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, July 16, 2016

From Color to Black and White

From the Albano-Waite Tarot, the Empress; from the Rumi Cards, The Moon kisses secretly:
          I looked at this Empress and thought, "Something's wrong." Then I realized it was her gown; instead of having bright red pomegranates, hers is gray and black. All around her is vibrant color and abundance, but she's in that gray place, where it feels like the joy has been sucked from the marrow. She is supposed to be a generous and open spirit, a Creatrix, a tender nurturer and a lover of the sensual. Yet this Empress is only going through the motions, doing what she is supposed to do, while her glowing light fades. The Rumi card hints at what may gently push her back to technicolor again - gratitude. But it's extremely hard to feel genuinely grateful when you don't feel great. Tell someone in the gray zone to write down what they appreciate about life, and you'd better duck because a journal might suddenly fly at your head. Affirmations may poke the conscious mind, but don't make a dent in the unconscious. A 2010 study in Psychological Science found that individuals were more likely to successfully complete an action if they phrased their affirmation as a question.  Clinical psychologist Sophie Henshaw suggests that using interrogative self-talk instead of declarative statements can help make the unconscious our ally. Questions can probe for answers, activate our curiosity and remind us of our resources (gratitude!). Our inquisitiveness can help us look at ourselves objectively and honestly without battling our thoughts and feelings. When we’re relaxed and open with what we find, a better attitude and positive behavior will more likely follow.

7 comments:

  1. That is why I like journal prompts and journaling about tarot cards so much: they push me to dig deeper.
    Gratitude when we're in the gray zone... I wonder how many times we can be grateful for our morning coffee :D
    Glad you're feeling better. Little by little and one step at the time you're becoming a rolemodel for patience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the tarot prompts; I've been acting as if everything was great, but feeling very apathetic inside. It was as much of a wake-up as my morning coffee! :)

      Delete
    2. I can relate since I've become very proficient in this too: Always smiling, always feeling okay. Most of the times I can even fool myself :)

      Delete
  2. interesting! I'll rephrase my lawn mowing mantra...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It explained why affirmations never seemed to do much for me. :)

      Delete
  3. Yet another Major in your weekly draw. Your Higher Self is really trying to get your attention. I have been in the gray zone, actually it shadows me a lot. Be Well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be on a major roll. :) Hope we both get back to technicolor soon!

      Delete