I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Readjust the Focus

From the Nigel Jackson Tarot, the Knight of Coins; from the Viking Lenormand, Lily:
          Maybe I'm just in need of breakfast and coffee, but this fellow's coin looks a lot like a loaf of Serbian slava bread. For someone who is supposed to be laboring in the fields, the garments he wears are quite dressy and his horse is standing still. The Knight of Coins is known for being a responsible, detail-oriented guy who will get the job done right. Perhaps it is a loaf of bread he holds. Instead of working he's celebrating, because the fields have been harvested. (A bit of trivia: "Slava" means celebration and involves honoring a family's patron saint.) Marking the end of one season's yield with a special occasion sounds justifiable to me. Lilies always remind me of my grandmother, so I tend to lean towards the "wisdom, elders and maturity" interpretation of this Lenormand card. I think those who are older and wiser are more likely to pause and celebrate life's little victories instead of waiting for something huge to happen. Life is too short to stay focused on what is bad or wrong in my world; I'm better off looking for the small things to celebrate and appreciate whenever I can.

ETA: It dawned on me after posting this that August is coming soon, as is Lammas ('loaf-mass'), a harvest festival. :)

6 comments:

  1. that is quite the 'old white haired men in power' in the lily card. Probably the Viking thing but makes my teeth itch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully he's just a version of a wise, older man who doesn't put up with mind games instead of an intolerant, unforgiving SOB.:)

      Delete
  2. Maybe he is Robin Hood, riding in and sharing the bread and other goodies he has managed to confiscate. And I am with Sharyn, I don't trust old men; that old dude could be King Richard thinking he would go out and crusade and not take care of things at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well seeing how he's the King of Spades on the card for wisdom and serenity, I'll probably just think of him as St. Nick on a bad day. :D

      Delete
  3. Ha, I'm posting something tomorrow with one part being about the importance of celebrating successes, no matter how small. So, I'm definitely with you on that one.
    While the Lily guy may be rather stern, what a gorgeous Lily! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days it is the little celebrations that keep me putting one foot in front of the other. :)
      According to Carole (the artist), it is a Turk's cap lily (Lilium martagon) - the 'martagon' means turban, which fits nicely with the Knight today!

      Delete