I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Movement and Stillness

This week I'll be using the Art of Life Tarot created by Charlene Livingstone and published by U.S. Games. I'll also be using the Tao Oracle, created by Ma Deva Padma and published by St. Martin's Press. Today's draws are the Star and Dispersion:
If thou follow thy star, thou canst not fail of a glorious haven. ~ Dante Alighieri
Hexagram 59: The wind moves above the water.

          Judging from the chosen quote, Livingstone's version of the Star seems to be about guidance. The movement of Vincent van Gogh's night sky is contrasted with the quiet stillness of the community below it. Sometimes I think I am so busy doing that I forget the true purpose of all my coming and going. Taking time to be still and get my bearings on my personal 'North Star' can remind me of my original intent. Dispersion also shows movement, in the wind and in the breath of the flute player. This hexagram warns that rigidity in thinking has cut off the natural flow of ideas. There is a tendency to look for what backs up my own objectives, rather than being open to other points of view. Life has a way of unfolding and meandering at it's own pace rather than in the straight line I'd prefer it to travel. Might as well relax, listen and observe without judgement; I might just learn something wonderful.

4 comments:

  1. Your posts seem to indicate you are in the middle of a storm. Have you distanced your thoughts and focused on the storm rather than how you are coping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point my friend. Instead of focusing on what I don't want, I could turn my focus to how to accept, adapt and heal.

      Delete