I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Light on Your Toes

From the Tarot of the Masters, the Two of Coins; from the Key to the Kingdom, the Four of Clubs:
          With the holidays fast approaching, it's no wonder that the Two of Coins appeared in the draws today. Ricklef mentions (in his book Tarot Affirmations) that this dancer is based on The Star by Degas, an artist who loved to depict movement. Looking at this young woman's blissful face, I see none of the long hours of practice and bandaged feet but rather pure joy. She reminds me to stay in the moment of each task - to attend to the sensations there - instead of focusing on how much I'd rather be doing something else. The Key card is associated with a children's verse that was used to trick the unsuspecting. The trickster would say "I am a gold lock," and the mark was to reply, "I am the gold key." The verse would proceed through a silver, brass and lead lock followed by replies until the last verse: "I am a monk lock." "I am a monkey." There would be playful laughter, and then the child (now in the know) would go use the verse on someone else. The Eight of Clubs suggests a sense of humor is also helpful in keeping the mood light when dancing between obligations.
Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.
~ Edgar Degas

10 comments:

  1. I know how challenging these last weeks of the year can be for you. So this is a wonderful way to approach the holiday season, maybe you could print a copy of this card and keep it in sight. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. :) I hope you are feeling better my friend.

      Delete
    2. I am feeling better thank you. I do miss blogging though :(

      Delete
  2. the long hours that come before. While Robis in Australia I pulled out an old 'make work' project. When mother was here there was no hope of concentration, but still the need to put needle to thread consumed me. The only way to center and cope. So I took strings and scraps and sewed them together as now fabric. Haven't a clue how many hours, days, weeks, I made new fabric that needed no thought. I got those blocks out last week and have woven them into a new quilt top. A top of strange beauty and broken thoughts. All those hours, already finished, and like magic a new creation appears. Seemingly overnight. Elephant with a spoon, I'd never set out to make a quilt like this, I'd be totally put off by the time it would take :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having that kind of focus can be a golden ticket to peace. Even if the calm is in bite-sized pieces. I hope you will post a picture of the quilt top! :)

      Delete
  3. The Star by Degas and my association of The Thinker by Rodin and Sharyn making a quilt, we all must be into the 'Arts' thoughts today, maybe with forthcoming holidays in mind. I am attracted to the Key of Kingdom cards. So many decks too choose from, I am becoming a deck collector addict. Oh My!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you visit other tarot blogs, it's very easy to have a long wish list! :)

      Delete
  4. Ha, yes, the dreaded C word is fast approaching. I have actually made a start on lots of bits, and the hubster has said he'll help out. So, that leaves us both some time to actually move and feel joyful - we did a workout together today, for the first time in at least two months :)
    Hope you equally find a way to dance joyfully through the chores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asking for assistance is smart - that's something I need to do more often.

      Delete