I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Sheath Your Swords

This week I'll be using the Swietlistej Drogi Tarot (Tarot of the Radiant Path),created by Alla Alicja Chrzanowska and published by Studio Astropsychologii. I'll also be drawing from the oracle Mirrors of the Heart, created and self-published by Lily S. May. Today's draws are the Five of Swords and Quiet:
          The Five of Swords is not the card I'd prefer to draw on Christmas day, especially when I'll be spending it with relatives whose views are widely divergent from my own. My first thought was to make sure I don't get into any opinionated debates today. But then I realized this guy was sitting alone, with no one else around. Perhaps the battle is not external but internal. All week I've caught myself thinking over and over how differently my beliefs and values are from my extended family. This is where the battle is already taking place - not in real life but my mind. The more I focus on our differences, the greater the sense of separation and bitterness grows. The kicker is that they haven't actually done anything - I'm the one who is making all this into a big deal. The Quiet card suggests that I get still and pay attention to my thoughts and emotions. If I stop writing a story around them and just focus on the physical sensations and observe the thoughts without attachment, they'll disappear as quickly as the steam that rises from the beaker next to that fellow. Then I can stop adding fuel to my internal fire and enjoy the holiday. A period of meditation is in order before anyone else wakes up; it would be a wise way to safely put those swords back in the closet.
The truth is, I don’t know what this year’s Christmas will be like... But we won’t be steering for anything in particular. It’s a mystery, after all. That’s what we hope to be attentive enough to witness. ~ Bonnie Nadzam

6 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas. Hopefully peace will reign with your festive gathering. I too am different than my family and have to hold back. Maybe more of the differences are in our heads, still our hearts know that most are scared of our differences instead of celebrating them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have plenty of friends who don't have family to share holidays with, and in this blessing of having family I can be grateful. :)

      Delete
    2. Too often we all can have unrealistic expectations and projections surrounding holidays, in particular with Christmas. Best to take it mindfully, some deep breaths, and take it as it comes.

      I'd be one of those friends who doesn't have immediate biological family which I have got very use to and rather like it that way! So I spend holidays with my chosen extended family. This year the person who usually comes who can be extremely argumentative and almost hateful wasn't there. I must say it was a relief as we are on opposite ends of the spectrum and I'm sure as shootin' grateful we aren't related! She's my best friend's sister-in law, so she does the obligatory invite during the holidays.

      I hope you have many Christmas and New Years blessings Bev and keep the faith baby ODAT or one minute at a time what ever it takes! XO

      Delete
    3. "Found Families" are some of the best folks to spend the holidays with! Glad this year's celebration was a good one for you! :)

      Delete
  2. Nobody but my daughters know what I belief. Keeping silent inwardly and outwardly is my way of coping with our differences.
    I hope your Christmas day was a peaceful one and that you can breath out and relax today.
    Soon everything will be back to "normal" :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We zipped in and zipped out. My daughter was not feeling well, so we left much earlier than we normally would. I'm exhausted today, but glad the holidays are over!

      Delete