I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, April 1, 2017

Hold Up the Light

This week I'll be using the Badgers Forest Tarot, a deck created and self-published by Nakisha VanderHoeven. Along with it, I'll be using my Gemstone Oracle (with actual stones). The meanings for the stones have loosely been chosen from the book Crystal and Gemstone Divination by Gail Butler (I added quotations with the keywords). Today's draws are the Hermit and Bloodstone:
          Opossums are nocturnal and thus prefer dark places when the sun starts to rise. I was startled to find a young one last year sleeping under a large, overturned pot. The Hermit indicates a time for withdrawal and contemplation in order to make a spiritual assessment. Where did I start from and where am I now on my path? What beliefs did I test and what wisdom have I gained? In what areas do I still need to grow and mature? The goal of this inventory isn't a guilt trip or accolades, but to get a bird's eye view of progress made and any detours taken. What I learn (both from mistakes and successes) can be passed on to other interested travelers. Bloodstone has been paired with a quote from Jim Butcher:
You're in America now. Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun 
in one hand and a sandwich in the other asking which you'd prefer.
That quote reminded me of a woman who recently told me she was going to Israel on a missionary trip to 'help' Muslim children (carrying a fun/care package in one hand and a Bible in the other). Assistance of any kind isn't really compassion when it is forced on another person through intimidation or a bribe. Each person has their own spiritual path to walk; what works and makes sense to me may not be appropriate or useful to someone else. The Hermit needs only to hold up the light of his lantern rather than wallop people over the head with it.

4 comments:

  1. Hermit time is as necessary for me as eating and drinking. Nourishment for the soul so to speak. Without it I would be running circles on a round-about, not knowing which direction I had to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is true; we need a self-inventory of where we are going, why we are going and the best way to get there! That pause is necessary to check our progress. :)

      Delete
  2. When the hermit holds up his starlight the other stars twinkle their own responses.

    ReplyDelete