I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, August 28, 2017

A Work in Progress

From the Deirdre of Sorrows Tarot, the Four of Wands; from the Victorian Flower Oracle, Pansy:
          A young couple have just been married, and are now about to enter the house that will become their home. It is a celebratory moment, but the courtship and wedding ceremony were simply the foundation of a building still under construction. Now this couple have to live together and figure out how to share the television and the bills, how to deal with each other's in-laws and annoying habits, and how to meet the challenges and changes that will come. Forget the three-tiered frosted cake; real life is not always so fluffy and sweet. Now if Pansy's advice is followed (Wishful Thinking), that couple is going to crash from their pink cloud of excitement into a brick wall. Reliving the past or fantasizing about the future is not going to help anyone deal with reality in the present. Sure things may not be perfect, but with awareness and curiosity there will be plenty of good to experience and be grateful for right now.

We are all capable of becoming fundamentalists because we get 
addicted to other people’s wrongness.
~~~
We can learn to rejoice in even the smallest blessings our life holds. It is easy to miss our own good fortune; often happiness comes in ways we don’t even notice.
Pema Chodron

7 comments:

  1. Living in the present moment and willing to receive its splendor, is one of my greatest challenges day after day after day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's hard to remember that what is beautiful and wonderful is very ordinary, and thus I often miss it.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mother, bless her soul, told all of us, her kids, to date someone a full year to get to know them better. I think I was the only one that listened and never married, the others just jumped right in. Which was the better choice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read cards, but I don't read the future. I suppose the answer is that question is "I don't know."

      Delete
  4. I read a quote today - if you are depressed you are living in the past, if you are anxious you are living in the future and if you are at peace you are living in the present. Like Ellen living in the present is a daily challenge for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a challenge for most people! (I heartily agree with the quote.)

      Delete