I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, September 7, 2017

No Filter

From the Buckland Romani Tarot, the Moon; from the Lakota Sweat Lodge Cards, Wi (Sun):
           If you spend any time caring for someone in the beginning stages of dementia, you notice one thing right away: no thoughts or feelings are filtered from their behavior. The frontal lobe of the brain, responsible for helping us making good judgments, is what usually prevents people from doing and saying socially unacceptable things. As dementia progresses, this lobe loses its filtering ability. In a similar way, my more primitive urges and instincts (represented by the Moon) can appear from the unconscious when my rational side has its guard down - usually brought on by hormones, stress or exhaustion. It may give me a peek at the feelings and motives (created by past experiences and memories) that lay hidden beneath my 'socially approved' side. Yet care needs to be taken that I don't allow the 'wild one' to cause irreparable harm on some unsuspecting person. The Sun represents clarity and awareness, but also the personal power that comes as a result. I may begin to understand why I have certain patterns of behavior, but the power comes in making different choices once I've found the causal root.
Connections slowly emerge. Like distant landmarks you are approaching, cause and effect begin to align themselves, draw closer together. Experiences too indefinite of outline in themselves to be recognized for themselves connect and are identified as a larger shape. ~ Eudora Welty

4 comments:

  1. The rigth choices are often hard to make. When we are not aware of the crossroads on our journey we are likely to follow the wrong path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it is best to wait until we can see more clearly before proceeding. But waiting has always been hard for me. :)

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't necessarily go back in time, but I often wish I'd known then what I know now. I think I've often done harm when only good was meant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That DVD you sent us was immensely helpful (and continues to help as it passes from one person to another).

      Delete