I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, September 15, 2017

Taking What is Not Given

From the Dark Goddess Tarot, the Seven of Air (Swords); from the Tattwa Cards, Air: Seed of Earth:
          Laverna is the Roman goddess of thieves, con men, and rascals - basically anyone who succeeds through deceit. She delights in upsetting balances and creating confusion. I could see how such a goddess would be a good partner in battle, but not so much when trying to live peaceably. She would think that was way too boring. There are times when the status quo needs to be disrupted, such as when life has become unfair and oppressive for certain groups. But there are also folks who like to be rebels, yet they have no worthy cause. The bottom line is, 'Who benefits?' Is the result helpful to the whole or self-serving only? Air with a Seed of Earth suggests seeing the humane side of things and being able to perceive how one's ideas would play out realistically. It is easy to assume this pair of cards deals with taking things that are valuable to others. However, the second precept of Buddhism reminds me it involves more than just stuff: 'I vow not to take what is not given, but to practice generosity.' Do I selfishly take time away from others by always dumping my problems on them? Do I take over conversations because I think I have better knowledge to share? When I sit among others, so I use chairs for my personal belongings instead of allowing someone else to sit there? Time, energy and space can also be used with generosity or without.

5 comments:

  1. A rebel without a cause sound very adolescent-like to me. I can remember that feeling of wanting to argue everyting just for the sake of arguing. I am sure this must have taken up a lot of time from my family and friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is exactly the type of person I was thinking about. There are many people who never outgrow this adolescent urge!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes we 'stir the pot' just to relief our boredom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we often get more than we bargained for! :D

      Delete
    2. And of course you are right, a lot of times we get more than we bargained for instead of just a little respite from boredom.

      Delete