I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Cultivator

From the Jolanda Tarot, the King of Pentacles; from the Bird Signs deck, 'Song:'

Man shapes himself through decisions that shape his environment.
~ Rene Dubos
          To assess what kind of ruler this fellow is, we would need only to look at how the choices he's made affect those around him. The orange tree in his hand reminded me of the Thomas Fuller quote, "He that plants trees, loves others besides himself." He probably treats those in his kingdom like what he grows - nurturing and protecting while also training and pruning. The naga that forms a protective hood over his head shows he is worthy of respect (and the jaguar loincloth that he won't tolerate anything that endangers his people). He asks me bluntly, what are you using your resources to cultivate? How will your actions shape yourself and your environment? The Song card is associated with the 5th or throat chakra. In balance, it is similar to one of the Buddhist precepts: I vow not to engage in false speech but to speak and listen from the heart. I can speak my truth, but I need to do it gently and with compassion. Sincerely expressing my gratitude can be a way to nourish others. My 'song' - what I say and how I say it - will create either loamy or rocky soil.

6 comments:

  1. funny how we see the rocky soil so much more clearly then the loam we make. Goes back to do we have ourselves on the love list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pema Chodron said that people need two things to start a spiritual practice: sitting meditation and self-compassion.

      Delete
  2. If we stopped and took a moment and were a bit more kind with our words and gestures what a legacy that would leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we take care of the moments, the rest takes care of itself in most cases.

      Delete
    2. Taking care of the moments - so simple but I find it such a challenge...

      Delete
    3. Me too. My mind is often in the future dreaming or making plans. :)

      Delete