I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, December 1, 2017

Pebble of Choice

From the Roots of Asia Tarot, the King of Swords; from the Mah Jongg Oracle, 'Jade:'
          This King of Swords appears to have a bird holding a pebble (his vote or selection) as well as a set of scales attached to his sword. He is well-known for making objective choices without the confusing influence of emotion. The booklet states that his 'sword' (mind) is able to cut away four things that might prejudice an objective decision: attachment to what is liked, hatred, delusion (ignorance) and fear. What is presently clouding my clarity? If I can be consciously aware of it, I may lessen its leverage over my choices. According to the Mah Jongg booklet, Jade was prized above gold in ancient China. Although it looked dull and lifeless when in the rough, after polishing it became an object of beauty and great value. For this reason, it represents hard work that leads to a worthy result. In any encounter I can strengthen my attachment, hatred, ignorance or fear by making an unconscious, reflexive choice, or I can make a reflective one. The first is automatic and keeps me mired in old behavior, while the second relies on wisdom and compassion and helps me widen my heart and mind.
We have two alternatives: either we question our beliefs — or we don't. Either we accept our fixed versions of reality — or we begin to challenge them. ~ Pema Chodron

4 comments:

  1. Does questioning our sanity fall in that purview?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say yes, for me. Especially when what I'm doing leads to harm, yet I keep doing it over and over anyway.

      Delete
  2. Or question our place in the world at large?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can just start where I stand, that's often a big enough challenge. :)

      Delete