I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, February 19, 2018

Ebbing and Flowing of the Heart

From Waking the Wild Spirit Tarot, the Nine of Water (Cups); from the Saltwater Reading Cards, 'Tides:'
          The Nine of Water/Cups generally implies a time of contentment and emotional well-being. The waterfall in this card suggests an active effort in keeping my 'cup' full rather than letting it go dry. It's much easier to get sucked into despair than to keep looking for the good in life. Mirabai's poem is a wonderful reminder:
I know a cure for sadness:
Let your hands touch something that
makes your eyes smile.
I bet there are a hundred objects close by
that can do that.
Look at
beauty’s gift to us–
her power is so great she enlivens
the earth, the sky, our
soul.
The Tides card represents cycles, both short (tides, sunrise/sunset) and long (moon phases, seasons). If I want to live peaceably, I must follow the natural cycles of life rather than attempt to rush them or slow them down. Yet if I take Mirabai's advice in keeping my heart full, I'll be better able to embrace whatever cycle may be waxing or waning.

10 comments:

  1. Our ability to keep our heart full is often also subject to a cyclic nature of waxing and waning. Perhaps this makes us appreciate the good times even better. 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My attention (whether I like something or not) can help me keep my heart open.😊

      Delete
  2. Oh, that Mirabai poem is wonderful! It's funny, after my comment on yesterday's post about not being able to get out of the ocean using the same boat that got you into it. My kids give me a lot of heartache, but they are also who I think of when I think of touching something that makes my eyes smile <3 When I can remember that joy, I can better deal with the annoyance, frustration and heartache :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of my favorite poems because it reminds me to look beyond my problems and see that there is still good in the world to enjoy.😊

      Delete
  3. I'm not much of an embracer, more an ignorer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is still lots of water. Water water everywhere. Several days of water. I hope you are belted in tightly if you are on emotional rollercoaster of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. currently riding the cycle of pain

      Delete
    2. Thanks Chloe. :) Trying to make space in my head and be patient while I heal.

      Delete